“Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most”.
T. Harv Eker
If you have not heard the ‘PALEO’ buzzword, where have you been? Not only do we have our cave-man ancestors to thank for the Paleo diet, we also have our American ‘health freak’ friends to thank for its launch into the mainstream. In 1970 Dr Loren Cordain a PH.D professor from Colorado started a study observing fellow native volunteers following the Paleo diet lifestyle.
After his research he famously stated ‘Humans were genetically designed to eat a Paleo diet – the diet lessens the body’s glycaemic load, has a healthy ratio of saturated-to-unsaturated fatty acids, increases vitamin and nutrient consumption, and contains an optimal balance of protein, fat, and carbohydrates”. Phew – well who are we to argue!
The Paleo diet offers you the chance to reduce daily calorie intake without starving yourself of food or nutrients. Almost all Paleo foods are unprocessed, free from added sugars and added salt. The diet focuses on eating more protein, healthy fats and less or no carbohydrate. Its the common sense of eating, cutting out foods that have no or little nutritional benefit and going back to basics of clean eating.
If clean eating sounds alarms bells ringing; fear not! The Paleo diet offers an extensive list of benefits and never one to turn away a challenge, we have reviewed, tested and dissected The Paleo Diet to compile our Top 5 benefits for YOU.
- Weight Loss – The Paleo diet is traditionally followed over a long term period as a lifestyle; therefore the need to ‘binge diet’ is lessened and it becomes easier to accept. It takes 21 days to accept a new habit, three weeks to a healthier Paleo mindset!
- Reducing Inflammation – You are effectively eating clean and natural foods, which for the most part our bodies love. Cutting out processed, sugar laden foods have a huge impact on your internal organs and mental health – in a good way! The Paleo diet has been linked with reducing symptoms in Diabetes, improving heart health and reducing inflammation associated with food allergies.
- Cutting Calories – Due to its high protein diet, you will naturally feel more satiated. You will not be focussing on cutting down on calories, you will not even notice it happening. Its all about quality rather than quality, viewing food as your friend; there to fuel so you feel good on the inside and out.
- Exercise – Our favourite! An increase in protein will lift your energy and help build muscle, the high fat foods will increase your calorie burning metabolic rate and the little or no carbohydrate will keep you lean and energised. You can say goodbye to mid afternoon sandwich slumps!!
- A way of life – It’s not about being strict and restricting foods and feeling like you “failed” if you eat something that is not Paleo. It’s more of a daily choice when thinking about what you want to eat. Its not rocket science, why not choose food that will make you feel amazing, so you can be ready to train harder and better.
If you can see yourself embracing the ‘CAVEMAN’ lifestyle, get in touch using the form below and we will share with you our knowledge on recipes and ideas. We cannot promise its for everyone but we can promise you wont be eaten by a saber tooth tiger!
The Team at Omnipotent CrossFit.
Paleo resource websites: